The yoga industry is growing year after year and it has proven not to be a fashion-trend to sell yoga pants and mats (although we love our leggings). There are more than 36 million yogis in the US right now. Spending on yoga classes, clothing, equipment, and accessories rose to over $16 billion.
On top of what we already know, there are many spotted opportunities on the market. Get some extra ideas for your yoga business or get some inspiration for the journey ahead!
Yoga industry statistics:
- 34% of Americans, or 80 million people, say they are likely to try yoga for the first time in the next 12 months.
- Only 8% of yoga practitioners have attended a yoga retreat, 62% are interested in attending one in the future.
- 75% of all Americans agree “yoga is good for you.”
- 9 out of 10 Americans have heard of yoga.
- The top 3 reasons why people do not try yoga are: “not sure if it is right for me”, “don’t know how to get started” and “my body is not right for yoga”.
- 74% of American practitioners have been practicing for less than 5 years.
- 19% of yoga practitioners have attended yoga events in a public place, 75% of yoga practitioners are interested in doing so in the future.
- 55% of yoga practitioners have never practiced yoga in a yoga studio.
- 50% of practitioners say they live green, eat sustainably and donate time to their community.
- 86% of yoga teachers are interested in attending a yoga retreat in the next 12 months.
- For every existing yoga teacher out there, there are 2 more yoga teachers currently in training.
- Only 29% of yoga teachers report yoga as their primary source of income
- Nearly all yoga teachers and trainees are interested in training courses that strengthen their skills and practices.
- Nearly 40% of studio owners report serving between 100 and 500 students per week.
- 22% of yoga studio owners report having over $100,000 in income for the yoga studio
79% of yoga practitioners report giving back to the community